Yes you do need a SSL certificate if you want your website or blog to be more secure. In fact it has been said that having a SSSL certificate can also help your ranking in Google just a wee bit more.
What does SSL stand for ?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer
The most visual proof of having a SSL certificate is that your url starts with “https” rather than “http” and it will often have a green padlock icon in your browser, indicating your data is being transferred securely over the internet and no one can eavesdrop into your confidential data while its being transmitted.
Saying that normal websites are also secure, but ssl just gives that added bit of protection from hackers. If you have an online shop, ecommerce store or a big website then its worth investing in SSL. The price for this start from a small price of $5.99 to $89.99 and more depending on what package you take.
Why do prices range for $5 to so high for SSL Certificates ?
Domain Validated (DV), simply verifies that you have the rights to put a certificate on a website. ( The cheaper prices for SSL certificate just do this part, and so you can get a https for a cheaper price).Read at bottom for other validations that are also available as part of your SSL certificate.
The Certificate Authorities (CAs) like Symantec, Comodo, GeoTrust, Thawte, Verisign and Geotrust are giant SSL Certificate providers which offers Domain Validation, Organization or Business Validation and Extended Validation certificates.
The companies Comodo and Symantec have very extensive reseller networks and hey are many companies reselling for them. Thawte is company that has been around in this niche for a very long time.
The quick process of installing a SSL certificate
1. You buy the SSL certificate
2. Complete whatever verification steps you need ( need some detailed info).
3. Download your key.
4. Install it ( this can take the most time)
5. You can completely forget about it until renewal time.
Some providers of SSL certificates
1. SSL.com (https://www.ssl.com/) .They have a free 90 days SSL Certificate and after that it cost around $50 per year.
2. Godaddy.com ( they have the cheap prices from $5.99 to higher end security from $89.99)
3. Thawte.com (https://www.thawte.com/)
4. SSL2buy (https://www.ssl2buy.com/)
5. Verisign ( https://www.verisign.com)
You need an SSL Certificate if…
You have an online store or accept online orders and credit cards.
You need to comply with privacy and security requirements.
You value confidentiality and want users to trust you!
Your business partners login to confidential information on an extranet.
You have offices that share confidential information over an intranet.
You process sensitive data such as addresses, banking details or other sensitive personal information.
Benefits of SSL:
Customer confidence in the integrity and security of your online business
Keep your online transactions confidential
99.3% compatibility with all browsers
128 bit strong encryption SSL
Non-forgeable proof of your Website identity
Ideal and low cost for securing your web server.
What does a SSL certificate actually do ?
1. It confirms that the website really is who it claims to be.
2. That credit card numbers, etc are encrypted and cannot be intercepted.
3. That the data sent and received cannot be tampered with or forged.
Didn’t get enough of SSL Info ( Read on…)
There are 3 levels of verification of the requester
· Domain Validated (DV), simply verifies that you have the rights to put a certificate on a website.
· Organization validated (OV), verifies that you are a registered company
· Extended Validation (EV), verifies that your company is in good standing, that there is a named point of contact and some other industry agreed upon steps.
SSL’s are only valid for the common name for which they were issued. For example, secure.mdomain.tld is not the same to an SSL as mydomain.tld. Godaddy offers multi-domain SSL which should cover subdomains as well.
Security for my site and its sub domains: The Wildcard SSL certificate (starts at $42) is an ideal choice to secure unlimited numbers of sub domains.
Want to secure multiple websites: Some certificate authorities are offering multi domain SSL certificate (starts at $45) that can secure up to 100 multiple web sites.
My name is Jeff and I like to blog about building websites and setting up new blogs,optimizing websites with wordpress plugins and scripts , I like to write about cool gadgets and SEO & Internet marketing.
Yes thats Me!:) .
You can find me on Google +here.I lovetinkering around with html , wordpress an finding ways to promote and rank blogs on Google ,Bing and Yahoo search engines. Iam also on a journey on finding out how to make money from websites ,so I will share my wisdom and hope you can also learn something from it.
So welcome to my domain and I hope I can be of some help to you on your blogging journey.
Latest posts by jeff (see all)
- The best wordpress responsive theme for your modern new blog in 2017 - March 30, 2017
- Is godaddy a good host to start a website ? - March 5, 2017
- 3 Steps to start an online ecommerce shop easily and quickly - January 23, 2017